Brexit FAQs

We answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the possible impacts of Brexit on our business and customers

It is increasingly possible the United Kingdom will leave the European Union on the 31 October 2019 without a Withdrawal Agreement in place.

We recognise this is an uncertain time for our customers and colleagues. We’ve put together the following FAQs on the impact a no-deal Brexit might have on your insurance policy.

Below are questions for customers with RSA car, van, travel or pet policies (including MORE TH>N customers), but if you have a business insurance policy underwritten by one of RSA's Europe branches you can view a dedicated Q&A here.

If your question isn’t answered here, scroll to the bottom of this page for more information.

Motor insurance

Q. Will I still be able to use my insurance to drive in other EU member states after Brexit?

A no-deal Brexit will mean that you will need to carry a physical document – known as a Green Card – to drive your vehicle insured under an RSA policy in any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Serbia or Andorra[1] from 31 October 2019.

If you intend to drive in any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Serbia or Andorra[1] on or around the 31 October, or any time after that, you will need to call us at least three weeks before your departure to make sure you get your Green Card on time.

If you are a MORE TH>N customer, the numbers to call are below, or you can find out more here.

  • MORE TH>N -  0330 100 0593​ 
  • MORE TH>N Van - 0330 102 4501
  • MORE TH>N SM>RT WHEELS - 0345 072 4422 

If you are a Clydesdale or Yorkshire Bank customer, please call us to get a Green Card.

  • Clydesdale Bank - 0800 197 1614
  • Yorkshire Bank - 0800 197 1646

If you are a Motability customer, you can find out how to get your Green Card here.

If you are a commercial insurance broker, you should contact your local RSA representative for advice on how to get your Green Card.

For any e-traded commercial policies you can use our live chat facility if available on your Software House system. Alternatively, please contact us on 0345 071 6040 or your usual dedicated phone number.

If the United Kingdom leaves the EU without transition arrangements in place, you will be legally required to carry a Green Card if driving in any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Serbia or Andorra[1]. Failure to comply with these regulations could result in you being accused of driving without insurance and you may be fined, prosecuted or your vehicle seized.

This does not affect you if you hire a car locally in one of the above countries.

[1] Please note that Motability insurance does not cover travel in Serbia or Andorra. You can find out more details here.

Q. What is a Green Card?

The Green Card is issued by your insurance company and has information about your vehicle such as its licence plate number and demonstrates that you have the necessary minimum insurance cover in place to be on the roads. Drivers have to physically carry the Green Card, with them while driving.

Q. Do I need a Green Card if I am towing a trailer or caravan?

If you are planning to tow any type of trailer or caravan when you travel you should contact RSA as it will need a separate Green Card.

Q. Does the UK voting to leave the European Union affect my European breakdown cover?

No, your breakdown cover will still work as usual across the EU if you have purchased the European breakdown option and are carrying your Green Card.

Q. Does the UK voting to leave the European Union affect whether I can drive in the EU with my UK driving licence?

If you are travelling in the EU before 31 October 2019, you can still use your UK driving licence to drive in any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Andorra or Liechtenstein. If there is a no-deal Brexit and you are planning to be outside the UK on or after 31 October 2019, you will need to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP) by visiting a Post Office before you travel.

You will need to be a GB or Northern Ireland resident, over 18 and have a full UK driving licence in order to be eligible. You should also check the minimum driving age of the country you’re going to – although the minimum age for driving a car in the UK is 17, other countries may have a different minimum age.

You can read the government’s most up-to-date guidance, including checking which Post Offices offer this service, here.

Travel insurance

Q. I'm travelling to another European Union country, does the UK voting to leave the EU affect my travel insurance policy?

Irrespective of the outcome of Brexit and the date of purchase of any travel insurance policy underwritten by AWP P&C, your insurance policy will remain valid subject to its existing terms and conditions:

  • Your travel insurance will still cover any medical assistance required irrespective of any changes that might be made to European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) status. Your cover will still be subject to normal disclosure of any pre-existing medical conditions.
  • In the case of delay or disruption to travel, the first contact should be with the airline or travel provider. Customers who have purchased an ABTA protected trip or have used a credit card, will have additional consumer protection. You should also check if your travel insurance policy includes travel delay or disruption cover.

The Cancellation, Delay and Missed Departure sections of the MORE TH>N policy covers specified perils only – for example poor weather; strike; industrial action or mechanical breakdown, so if a delay occurs that is not as a result of any of these perils - such as Brexit - then there is no cover.

Q. Will my EHIC card still be valid if the UK leaves the EU without a deal?

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, your EHIC – which gives European citizens the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland - will no longer be valid. For more information, please visit the NHS website by clicking here.

Q. Will I need to renew my passport before I go on holiday?

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019, you will need at least six months left on your passport when you arrive at your EU destination. If this won’t be the case you will have to renew before you travel.

For further details about passport requirements and information on how to renew your passport please visit the government’s advice page by clicking here.

Pet insurance

Q. I have pet travel cover and I am travelling to another European Union country with my pet, does the UK voting to leave the European Union affect my cover?

Cover to travel under your pet insurance is reliant on you meeting the terms of the United Kingdom Government Pet Travel Scheme, known as PETS, which is administered by DEFRA, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural affairs. It is possible that in the future, travelling with your pet may involve more planning.

To make sure your pet is able to travel from the UK to the EU after 31 October 2019 in any scenario, you should read the government's most up-to-date guidance, which can be found here.

DEFRA recommends contacting your vet at least four months before travelling to get the latest advice.

More information

As the exit process progresses, RSA will continue to keep customers updated on the impact of negotiations on our policies and products, posting them on our website, Twitter and Facebook. In the meantime, if you have any concerns that aren't addressed here, please contact us or email

Keep up to date with the latest RSA announcements

Our leadership